A Wisconsin man had to have his hands and legs amputated after he contracted a bacterial blood infection from a dog lick.
Greg Manteufel was licked by a dog and almost immediately felt ill. Hours later he went into septic shock and was admitted to the hospital. Doctors determined that he contracted a potentially fatal bacteria found in dogs and cats that is typically spread through a dog bite. The day he became ill he had been around eight dogs. It's not known which one carried the bacteria.
People Magazine has the complete story here > Wisconsin Man Has Legs and Hands Amputated After a Lick From a Dog Causes Severe Infection